I came as a stranger to Haarlem
But I wasn't a stranger for long
For the people of Haarlem opened their hearts
So now I will sing them this song. (Spoken)
It's true that I miss the mountains
And the waves that crash on the shore
And the plaintive cry in a cloud filled sky
Of a raven above rocky Gweedore.
It's true that I miss the river
That races it's way to the sea
As it tumbles and falls and rushes and calls
On it's journey to the broad estuary.
And the Spaarne it doesn't race
Like the rivers in far Donegal
But moves so slow with a genteel flow
That looks like no movement at all.
But here I am in Haarlem town
And don't feel my loss so strong
My tears have dried for the people tried
To make me happy amid their throng.
They like to sit in a bar
And drink and talk and sing
They raise good cheer with good Dutch beer
For they know living is the thing.
And when I walk these cobbled streets
It's like being back in time
For they built a past that was made to last
And these streets now feel like mine.
So thanks for being kind to a stranger
Who came here from over the sea
And not at all sure if I could endure
A place that seemed foreign to me.
But the people of Haarlem opened their hearts
So I feel a stranger no more
They gave to my soul an entirely new role
On their welcoming, friendly Dutch shore.
~~Aidan Sharkey
This poem was sung by Paul Marselje
Listen to the music:
~~Aidan Sharkey
This poem was sung by Paul Marselje
Listen to the music:
1 comment:
I love your poetry Aidan. Is very interesting! You are better!!!!
Post a Comment