Thursday, June 2, 2011

People think I'm great!

I recently talked with someone who said she hasn’t smoked for months
'Wow' I said 'that’s great!'
Then I got to mention it to her brother who just laughed and said that he has recently talked with her and she was definitely smoking something..

Old habit.. hard to break
Showing people you quit when in reality you’re just hiding another stick (or whatever).
Made me recall a poem I wrote a long time ago.

PEOPLE THINK I'M GREAT

I've been off the drink a year now.
People think I'm great.
They come to me and say,
'We think you're great,'

My alcoholic friends come to me and say
'How do you do it?
We couldn't do it.
We think you're great.'

My wife is a bit uncertain,
Looks at me closer than most
But, fair play to her,
She really thinks I'm great.

'It's not easy,' I say to them all
'But well worth the effort.'
And shuffle off their praise
and walk away,
Dying for a drink.

No comments: